[OSM-dev] OSM, AND & India

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 17 17:50:20 BST 2007

Hi Ante

I'm also very interested in mapping India.

A couple notes on those data sources...

I've talked to Schuyler about this, he's one of the organizers of the Mumbai Freemap. Mumbai Freemap is an impressive data set -- it covers all of Mumbai, from digitized municipal documents. Issue is that it's currently not in a form usable for OpenStreetMap. The digitization was done in CAD, and is pretty directly a trace of those original documents. For example, both sides of the road are drawn precisely, but there's not single object representing the road itself.

So a second workshop would need to be organized, to transform the current freemap into OpenStreetMap. Technically this is quite simple -- the mumbai freemap can serve WMS, which can be read into JOSM. In JOSM, that imagery is retraced in the "OSM way". It's a lot of work, but my impression is that there's a lot of people in Mumbai willing to work very hard on this, and that with some organizational effort it's entirely doable.

I'd be up for helping on this.

AND in India is basically VMAP0. So we're talking major roads, somewhat out of data, but no detail within cities. VMAP0 contains other layers like rail, not sure if that's included in the AND data set. When I was last in India, VMAP0 was actually pretty decent for major roads, though anything built within the last few years was missing.

Still a good start, and since that import path is already worked out for the NL data, it makes a lot of sense to push that ahead too.

Mikel