[OSM-dev] API 0.5 is on the way

michael J michael_j at email.de
Thu Sep 20 22:45:35 BST 2007

 > Nice. You don't really need the <pre> though, you could just start
 > each line with a space.
Good idea.

 > > >I'd say that we are mixing different levels here. There is ONE
 > > >way to encapsulate any numer of OSM obejcts in an XML message,
 > > >and we need one DTD for that. Any message returning OSM objects
 > > >will adhere to that DTD and can be checked for formal correctness.
The DTD is very loosely defined. Thus what does this type of formal
correctness really tell us if it is still accepting a list ways instead
of an expected node?

Assumed checking of the payload for formal correctness was successful.
However, if the payload is still not a valid request payload for the
submitted URL, has then the formal model we had build, the DTD, been
correct in first place?

 > > >Whether the  message really contains the objects you were looking
 > > >for is not something that can be checked on the XML level;
 > > >that's one level up.

Yes. Mapping the payload content to the URL is one level up. How can we
usefully define this?

Michael