[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] FW: OSM stats quote for a paper

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Fri Sep 21 14:36:13 BST 2007

On 21/09/2007 13:51, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> So if that data is to be believed, around 66 thousand kilometres of
> roads have been added in the UK and Ireland during the last 6 months.
> (Reality check, anyone - is that figure probable?)

If anything it sounds a bit low to me. I estimate that I have personally
added around 1,000 km of roads in the year I have been mapping, and
that's by bike. People who've been mapping the larger scale road network
by car must have travelled substantially longer distances, even though
the time involved may be similar.

I estimate Cambridge has about 600km of road for a population of
110,000. So does 1km ~= 200 people in populated areas?

David