[OSM-dev] Trial clickable POI layer

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 21 20:49:49 BST 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 20:48 +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On 9/21/07, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:
> > But I really think it does need saving: there must be more than 60,000
> > POIs - unless you are only thinking about specific types, maybe. But
> > given the HTML is very compact, I think all POIs per tile could be done.
>
> To be honest, lets cross that bridge when we come to it. Until I get
> images for other things that raise the number of POIs it's not worth
> optimising something that only takes a fraction of a second anyway.
>
> Besides, I wouldn't have a clue how to get openlayers to read HTML
> into tile. That's not currently supported. What is supported is icons
> with configurable HTML when you click on them...

IMO it would be much better to use an XML format which you can pump
through XMLHttpRequest & XML JS DOM tree (or any other XML parse). This
leaves the door open for other scripts to interpret the data (both JS
and non-JS).

For example, I can see a simple PDA or Phone application which could
list the nearest pub/cafe/hotel etc by doing a POI request based on its
current location. It could display the results as a text list with phone
numbers etc without even displaying the map tile.

I understand OSMXAPI can do this sort of thing too.

	Jon