[OSM-dev] Quadtile Info and Planet dump

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Sun Sep 23 10:03:00 BST 2007

On 22/09/2007, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/22/07, Dave Stubbs <osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk> wrote:
> > I wonder which is faster:
> >
> > a) calculating the tile from a couple of doubles
> >
> > b) bunziping a text representation of an int, and parsing that
> >
> > I don't know the answer to that question, but it's probably not so clear cut.
> > It would also make the planet bigger.
>
> You're only talking about the client. What about:
> a) Extra time in the sprintf in the planet dumper, on the server
> b) Extra time to compress the result, on the server
> c) Extra time storing said data on disk, on the server
> d) Extra time transferring it over the network to your machine, from the server
>
> When you add all these to your option b, the current setup doesn't
> look so bad anymore... Especially since 99% of people will never use
> it.

I ignored all of that precisely because it's server-side... the end
user doesn't care much. For the server it's a one-off cost that would
(in the case of something worthwhile) save each and every client a
pile of effort.

If I was forced to guess I would say a) was faster.
And pre-calculating data where you can even ask the question about
which is faster seems like a silly idea.