[OSM-dev] Osmosis Plans

spaetz osm at sspaeth.de
Tue Sep 25 09:56:56 BST 2007

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 02:31:26PM +1000, Brett Henderson wrote:
> 1. Planet dumping.
If the simple planet.c is faster, it might do the job just as well. Don't know

> 2. Planet difference generation.
planetdiff/patch is doing a good job here and is really small and little memory consuming.

> 3. Planet importing into offline mysql database.

I'd say that is a very useful feature. I don't know how many people use it for this purpose privately...

> 4. Database snapshotting.
Haven't used it myself, because, as you say, it isn't useful with inconsistent history tables.

> 5. Changeset derivation from database.

I am not sure, as I haven't tried it. Would it be possible to get eg daily diffs quickly from the main db? What's your estimation on how log such a diff generation would take?

> 6. Changeset application to offline mysql database.

I see that as very useful. We could update e.g. the zappy API a lot quicker in shorter intervals.

> 7. Polygon extraction.
> 8. User activity reporting.
> 9. Replication to alternative schema.

> I'm keen to hear people's thoughts.  I'm not sure what I should focus
> on.  I believe the replication features would be useful to help the
> project scale to a much larger size.

Personally, I would find it interesting to get daily diffs out and see what people do with that. I don't know if disk space is an issue, the planets are stored on dev and that has not infinite disk space.