[OSM-dev] Osmosis Subversion Access

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Thu Sep 27 00:12:39 BST 2007

Hi All,

I am currently hosting the osmosis repository, downloads and wiki out of
the data centre in my lounge room.  In other words it runs on my media
centre beside the tv.

I did this initially because it was the quickest way to get started and
it has also allowed me to make a large number of changes to the code
base over time without affecting others.  However it has reached a point
where it has stabilised somewhat and I'm less concerned now about others
getting in and making changes of their own.  I'm also concerned because
I will be away during half of December and most of February and my PC
will be turned off.

I'm wondering whether it would be more appropriate to check it in to the
main OSM subversion repository.  I don't have commit access currently
but presumably this isn't *too* hard to obtain.  I need to move the wiki
information from my own wiki to the project wiki anyway so this isn't an
issue.  And finally I need to find somewhere to host downloads, I'm
hoping there's space on one of the osm servers to host about 20MB of data.

My main concern is the lack of provisions for tagging projects within
the repository.  I like to tag each release as I make it to allow me to
make some unstable changes between releases.  If I create a tag
structure within an osmosis project it will result in huge downloads for
everybody keeping a checkout of the entire repository.  The simplest
solution is to stop tagging each release in the repository and just
track versions via the build number in the build.xml ant file ...

So two questions:
* Should I check it into the main osm repository?
* How do I get a subversion login?  Do I just email NickH as indicated
on the wiki?

Cheers,
Brett