[OSM-dev] history & disk space

Steve Coast steve at asklater.com
Thu Sep 27 12:22:52 BST 2007

When I last looked when you added a object the server

a) inserts the data in to the current nodes table
b) inserts the same data in to a node history table

When you update it

a) updates the data in the current nodes table
b) inserts the same data in to a node history table

So we use at least twice the storage space. We could change this so
that history is only added on an update and not by default on
creation. It creates overhead in that when you look up the history of
an object it needs to check both the history and current table (which
I'm guessing is a rare API call), but saves some large number of Gb
in space.

Thoughts?

have fun,