[OSM-dev] unmodified objects being uploaded?

DavidD thewinch at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 13:20:34 BST 2007

On 29/09/2007, Thomas Walraet <thomas at walraet.com> wrote:
> Jon Burgess wrote:
> > Looking at the history for some objects show that they have been
> > uploaded multiple times even tough there are no obvious changes
>
> This could be done easily with JOSM :
>
> - select 2 ways, a secondary and a primary one
> - JOSM display "highway:<different>"
> - modify the highway tag two have both way primary
> - clic upload
>
> Only one way is really modified, but JOSM will upload the both.

You can also cause JOSM to upload an unchanged object by modifying a
tag and then later changing it back to its original value. To prevent
that I guess JOSM would have to keep a copy of the original state of
every modified object to check against.

Personally I do it quite often to stop mappaint "painting" a
particular object. For example mappaint colours in areas making it
hard to see traces running through them.
For example I'd change the way tag to landuse=residential# to stop
mappaint colouring it, map some traces, then change the tag back
before uploading.
JOSM will upload the landuse=residential way even though nothing has changed.

--
DavidD