[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] GSoC applications are in! MENTORS wanted

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Apr 8 12:09:45 BST 2008

Hi,

> Honestly, I was wondering about the Geonames project application. I am
> not sure (from a license point of view) that we can import Geonames
> data, as they also require attribution.

I *think* the Geonames project is about setting up some sort of tile
source that has Geonames data on it, thus avoiding importing it to
OSM; *maybe* it would try to put only stuff on the tiles where OSM
hasn't got its own data so this would make an nice extension to OSM
without license problems. But all this is very vague at the moment.

Bye
Frederik