[OSM-dev] Generate complete slippy map (mapnik/generate_tiles.py)

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 14:51:32 BST 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Sebastian Mauer <sebastian at n-unity.de> wrote:
> Hello there
>
>  I'm currently trying to use mapnik/generate_tiles.py to generate a slippy
>  map of the whole world.
>  However it seems, with default settings in place I'm only getting a detailed
>  slippy map of Great Britain.
>  What (bounding box?) settings should I use to generate a complete world 0-16
>  map?

Hang on - I doubt you've got enough disk space to do that. That's
terabytes of space you'd need. If you need the whole world then you
should look into mod_tile which will wait until someone looks at the
area before it renders it. If you need to pre-generate images, you'll
need to pick smaller areas and be especially conservative with zoom
levels.

Anyway, scroll to the bottom of generate_tiles.py and change the
bboxes there. You could change 0,5 to 0,16 on line 126
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/applications/rendering/mapnik/generate_tiles.py#L126
and watch your hard disks die!

Cheers,
Andy