[OSM-dev] Generate complete slippy map (mapnik/generate_tiles.py)

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 11 19:03:55 BST 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 16:09 +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Hang on - I doubt you've got enough disk space to do that. That's
> > terabytes of space you'd need.
>
> I have a neat little Perl script that tells you some details about the
> various zoom levels. These are *theoretical* values, I'd be interested
> to hear from operations. Here's the output (values are colon separated):

Here are the stats from tile.openstreetmap.org for each zoom level. This
includes every tile which has ever been looked at on the Mapnik layer in
the last 6 months or so.

zoom	tile count	limit		% of limit
0	1		1		100
1	4		4		100
2	16		16		100
3	64		64		100
4	256		256		100
5	1024		1024		100
6	4096		4096		100
7	16384		16384		100
8	65536		65536		100
9	262144		262144		100
10	1048576		1048576		100
11	2190208		4194304		52.22
12	2521856		16777216	15.03
13	4391616		67108864	6.54
14	8242176		268435456	3.07
15	13675904	1073741824	1.27
16	12613952	4294967296	0.29
17	23811328	17179869184	0.14
18	14342784	68719476736	0.02
Total	83187925	91625968981	0.09

As you would probably expect, we have every tile for the low zooms and
then the percentage of tiles drops off rapidly past zoom 10. We
currently have about 1/1000th of all the possible tiles.

These are taking 120GB of disk space.

	Jon