[OSM-dev] map projection and scale distortion

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Apr 16 17:27:08 BST 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 09:48:21PM +0530, Raghu Ram wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 9:33 PM, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
>
> > In message <1e68ba6b0804160851o311bc0ebs61f780a3f64fc272 at mail.gmail.com>
> >           "Raghu Ram" <raghuram.nadiminti at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >  I see that the map projection being used by mapnik slippy map is the
> > one
> > > that google uses too. Google maps has this dynamic scale bar where as
> > OSM
> > > doesn't have any.
> >
> > As of a few hours ago we do have a scale bar. You might need to flush
> > your browser cache (or do ctrl/shift reload) to get it though.
>

>  I flushed my browser cache. Still i cannot see any dynamic scale bar. Its
> static in the sense that the scale doesn't change with the latitude in
> focus.

Patches welcome. The code to change is Control.ScaleLine in OpenLayers:
specifically, the update function. If anyone is interested in performing
this change, please feel free to drop an email to the OpenLayers mailing
list or drop by the IRC channel (irc.freenode.net / #openlayers) and I
will help them understand the reason it works the way it currently does,
and how to add an option to change the behavior.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta