[OSM-dev] map projection and scale distortion

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Apr 16 17:44:32 BST 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 05:26:16PM +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
> >  I flushed my browser cache. Still i cannot see any dynamic scale bar. Its
> > static in the sense that the scale doesn't change with the latitude in
> > focus.
>
> Well I guess that's a bug in OpenLayers then ;-)

"Bug" is so harsh. "Lack of Feature" is so much nicer. :)

Seriously though, it's a difference in how you look at the problem. All
of the code in projected maps anywhere assumes that within a plane,
units are planar. This usually means that measuring large scale
distances is not within the design. This is the case for the Scale
control as well.

Implementing this as an option would not be difficult (Though it would
require some discussion): Anyone interested is encouraged to talk to the
OpenLayers Mailing List or IRC channel about it.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta