[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] New Export Tab

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Mon Apr 21 10:31:39 BST 2008

In message <24642.83.43.179.8.1208769530.squirrel at webmail.escomposlinux.org>
        Iván Sánchez Ortega <ivansanchez at escomposlinux.org> wrote:

> <quote who="Axel von Matern">
>> - Is it possible to import the XML-file into Illustrator?
>
> Related question:
>
> Would it be possible/easy to export a shapefile, or GML, or KML, or any
> other professional-looking format?

Well, ignoring for the time being that little dig about what might or
might constitute "professional looking", the problem (as I understand
it) is that none of those formats is, in and off them themself, enough
for an export format.

What I mean is that you can't just say "export to a shapefile" on it's
own - you have to define some sort of style that controls what attributes
you put on objects on the shapefile (or KML or GML file) and how those
are derived from the OSM data.

I do have some plans for additional formats, but none of those are
high on my list. If on the other hand somebody wants to provide a
web service that returns such data for a given bounding box, then it
is relatively easy to add them to the UI.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/