[OSM-dev] all things to all people

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Tue Apr 22 14:34:51 BST 2008

On 22/04/2008 14:21, SteveC wrote:
> Really, the existing boxes should be throwing out as many tiles and
> API calls as possible. We should buy a new box for export and it
> shouldn't be a priority in terms of memory, disk, uptime etc.

I agree. I think the functionality is great in principle, just what I
would have liked to have had for doing some of the printed maps I've
done, but looking at again, for serious use I really think I'd need to
get larger areas - not massive, but more than the load would bear at
present.

That doesn't mean the interface can't be where it is now, but instead of
doing it there and then, it could queue the job and process them one by
one and offer a URL to check for completion. (Logged in users could pick
them up from their user account pages, using RSS and/or get an email
sent to them).

This would then allow us to serve larger areas, which will be much more
useful than what's there now.

(No need to say it, I know, DIY).

One of the GSOC projects is a 'make me a map' online application, yes?
This will have the same load problems presumably, but it could use the
same queue, you just get a more customized map at the end.

David