[OSM-dev] Google Summer of Code

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 23 19:50:32 BST 2008

> From: Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu>
>
> In message <8990327d0804230928p7739f912o568fdf24020896ad at mail.gmail.com>
>          "Arindam Ghosh" <makghosh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Gora Mohanty <gora at sarai.net> wrote:
> > >  I work on internationalisation, and localisation issues, especially
> > >  as these pertain to Indian languages, and would be glad to help out
> > >  on this project. I hope that there is no need for me to become an
> > >  official mentor, as I cannot always guarantee having time available
> > >  when needed.
> >
> > That's great...:) Can you please provide some pointers regarding
> > implementation of lingatures and vowel positioning of Indic scripts. I
> > would like to study how much of these would be required pertaining to
> > project.
>
> I wouldn't have thought you should have to worry about that much
> really - if you've got valid UTF and you use an appropriate text
> rendering library then that sort of stuff should sort itself out.

Rendering Indic characters into glyphs is not so straight forward -- the fonts require a lookup table or state machine to account for all the variations in character combination.

For the web site, yes I think we can rely on the browser for this, with testing of course. For other pieces of the ecosystem, it will need more inquiry, if there's time this summer. I am aware that IndicTrans has been working on an open source solution, but not sure how much work it will be to integrate.

Mikel