[OSM-dev] Google Summer of Code

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 23 20:47:44 BST 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 00:49 +0530, Gora Mohanty wrote:
> (b) What technology does the OSM website use? RoR?

Yes RoR is one of the key technologies used for the OSM website, but
then we also use PHP(mediawiki), Javascript(OpenLayers), Flash(Potlatch)
and probably several more too.

>  Is it possible
>     to get a local installation of the website,

Yes
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/The_Rails_Port

> if not of all the
>     data?

You can not get _all_ the data (some user details remain private). You
can download all of the map data which comes as a 5GB compressed file.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Planet.osm

For normal purposes I recommend you work with a one of the smaller data
extracts listed on this page (unless you have lots of computing
resources and a need to process the entire data set).

	Jon