[OSM-dev] OSM Notes API, Issue Tracking (was: "See Data", a UI for browsing OSM data in the main map)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Apr 23 22:28:01 BST 2008

Hi,

> You do realise that there are people already working on adding this
> to the main site? There is a code branch in the repository with some
> preliminary work already.

I think that Martijn van O had a prototype of an OL based issue
tracker as well - is the one in SVN based on that, or an entirely
different thing?

What I like about Richard D's variant is that you can apply a note to
an *area*, while the code in our SVN seems to assume that notes always
relate to a *point*.

Personally I always thought that notes could be usable not only for
people pointing out errors, but also for meta-info like: "drove around
this quarter for two hours. think I got all the roads but some
cycleways t.b.d.".

IMHO notes are very well suited for placing them *outside* of the
central OSM data base because they do not have to integrate tightly
with the rest; there's no reason I can see why notes should not reside
on an external service, with editors connecting that service through
appropriate plugins.

I haven't studied the notes branch in SVN closely, and have probably
missed the discussion about it on the lists (pointers anyone?), but if
the plan is to add some kind of <note> objects to OSM data then I
would like to register mild opposition. Let the core do the core
tasks, and do everything else elsewhere. Otherwise you'll end up with
geotagged images in the central database sooner or later ;-)

Bye
Frederik