[OSM-dev] OSM Notes API, Issue Tracking

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Apr 24 08:46:51 BST 2008

In message <481035A2.8000204 at duif.net>
        Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net> wrote:

> So I started with a dutch version first, had some discussion about
> other projects alike. For example, using trac for this, or about
> giving people their own 'area' to monitor. After that concluded with
> mvexel that we would sent it to this list for discussion.

Like you, we have discussed tieing it to trac in the past, but decided
that it would too complicated a solution.

> I really like the restfull 'permalink' principle of Openlayers, and
> started with that. I also like linking different services by url's:
> - use a georss-feed on whatever map to see notes/issues/xxx in your
> neigborhood/'area of concern'.

Oh obviously there would be GeoRSS feeds for people to subscribe
to, and ways of overlaying the notes/issues on the map - whether
doing that via the RSS feed is the best solution is something I need
to look at as I don't much experience of OpenLayer's RSS overlays
yet.

> I favour this note/issue system as a separate (meta)data system, but
> we can connect the two by for example:
> - in a certain tool/modus (in the main map), clicking in the map gives
> you the issue-reporting form (after for example showing all issues in
> this area first): so no "wandering off"
> - it's even possible, to add a 'note'-point to the real osm-data, with
> as attribute-value the url pointing to the 'issue-system'

Obviously we can do all that yes, and we could even host it on the
old tile server along with the gazetteer. It may even be the right
solution if we can get reasonable seamless integration with the
main site and you're happy to look after the issue tracker side of
things which will be one less thing for me to worry about.

I'm not sure if Adam Boardman, who's been doing the notesapi work
on the rails code, is reading this or has anything to add?

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/