[OSM-dev] Problem making database on current rails_port

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Apr 25 14:35:50 BST 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 02:28:13PM +0100, Andy Allan wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 12:31 PM, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 3, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Nick Whitelegg <nick at hogweed.org> wrote:
> >  >
> >  >  >> kylemaxwell.com
> >  >
> >  > >
> >  >  > You don't actually need that one - try an update of vendor/plugins to
> >  >  > make sure you get the other plugins.
> >  >  >
> >  >  > Tom
> >  >
> >  >  OK did that, also changed version to 10.
> >  >  However now I get:
> >  >
> >  >  no such file to load -- spec/rake/spectask
> >  >  /path/Rakefile:10
> >  >
> >  >  Everything in svn is up to date.
> >  >
> >  >  Any ideas on this?
> >
> >  I get that too. What did you do to fix it?
>
> Ach, never mind. sudo gem install rspec.
>
> I'll get the hang of this rails stack thing eventually. I must say
> it's pretty tough going trying to get everything installed though. I
> knew there was a reason on my last project why once we got rails
> running we didn't ever touch it again.

If you're running ubuntu, the description on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/The_Rails_Port actually works
flawlessly: Having never installed or touched rails before, I was able
to get a dev server up and running (once someone packaged up the
externals for me) within an hour. I was pretty impressed with the level
of work that had been put into it.

(If you're not running Ubuntu/Debian, well, whose mistake is that? :)

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta