[OSM-dev] Dev rails port instance for testing

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sat Apr 26 06:28:16 BST 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 11:31:39AM +0100, Robert (Jamie) Munro wrote:
> http://dev.openstreetmap.org/ should
> lead to a near-identical looking site to the main site, but where this
> kind of scratchpad testing, etc. is explcitly allowed.

And it does, as of about an hour ago.
http://main.dev.openstreetmap.org/ , updated hourly from svn, using a DB
populated with the UK planet.

RichardF: This is what we talked about earlier, btw: I've added a
crossdomain.xml file, let me know if that doesn't work for you.

(I'm with spaetz though: "should", without any significant effort to
contribute to the development of a solution, rubs me the wrong way.)

> The database behind this site should be overwritten with the real
> database periodically.

The 'real database' is a bit big to be playing around with without a
real reason to, but http://main.dev.openstreetmap.org/ is loaded with
the latest UK extract. (The current full planet, after loading for > 48
hours, finally ran out of disk and gave up earlier this evening.)

> The site would also be the place where new
> versions of the site and Potlatch can be tried and tested.

There's a relatively major problem with that: specifically, that you
don't typically want to have things which are broken checked into the
main SVN 'trunk'. (This is why branches exist, after all.) However, that
means that there is not a 'magical' way to deploy all the code, since
each branch requires some level of setup.

I believe that dev is now in a much better state to handle this kind of
development, however. I've gotten Rails running there, which, so far as
I can tell, had not been done in what looks like quite a while... this
means that dev may be/become a useful development environment for people
looking to hack on the rails port without having access to a server they
can hack on. Still details to be worked out whether this makes sense,
but at the very least, should make it more possible to get hacking for
some people.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt