[OSM-dev] regarding gpsmid

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 17:45:30 BST 2008

Hello,

Ansari Ghouse wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are trying to develop a location based mobile phone application by
> customizing the functionality of GpsMid. Does someone know how to find
> the current position of the user in GpsMid.

I am not sure I follow what you mean here. Where do you want to find the
current position? In the source code? It is stored in the Trace class
and is passed in from the various available LocationProviders.

> Second,while customizing the application where can we start from either
> gpsmid src code or osm2gpsmid.

I think this depends a bit on what exactly you want to customize. GpsMid
uses its own binary format to store the OSM data as efficiently for its
purposes as possible. Osm2GpsMid is simply a translation program that
takes some OSM data and a desired area and converts it to the format
needed by GpsMid. So if your customisation requires information from OSM
that isn't currently in the GpsMid data format, then you would need to
adapt both Osm2GpsMid and GpsMid to your needs, otherwise GpsMid should
be sufficient.

I'd be interested to hear what kind of customisations you have in mind
though, as you don't really say what you are planning. Perhaps some of
your needs are already met, as you might be interested to know, that the
current version of GpsMid (in the GpsMid CVS repository) is now more or
less customizable with respect to which OSM features you want to have
displayed and the colours and icons in which it gets rendered. It now
has an XML style file that describes to Osm2GpsMid which OSM tags are
relevant and how to display them in GpsMid. With this you should
hopefully be able to make e.g. a Ski-lift map, or a map of power lines
if you wish, with out having to touch any source code.

Some of this stuff only got added a few days ago, so it might still be a
bit flaky and I can't quite promise that everything works yet. ;-)

If you are interested in the details of GpsMid, I suspect the discussion
would perhaps be more appropriate though for the GpsMid forums over at
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/gpsmid), where I would be happy to try
and answer any questions.

Kai