[OSM-dev] Call to mobile developers: OSM binary file format - defining the purpose

Marcus Wolschon Marcus at Wolschon.biz
Thu Aug 7 11:58:10 BST 2008

Thank you Pol.
It sounds great,

can someone start organizing what we have on a wiki-page?
I guess we should get a concensus on the purpose of the applications
what are to be offered usage of this file-format first.

Porposal:
I propose it to be ment for routing and navigation.

Motivation:
Moving maps: Routing-Formats need to contain all data to make
             a moving map anyway because they contain a moving
              map.
Editors :    Editors serve small areas that can be served with
             the OSM-XML -format. Thus the limitations of using
             another format then on the desktop-side is not
             required.

Did I forget any kind of application?
Any arguments for including any of these two in the scope?
Any further arguments?

I also propose to take this discussion to the routing-list, should
we agree on finding a format for routing since that is where all
the people actually doing routing and navigation are and we need not
bother core-developers and other list-readers with special-purpose
-discussions.

Marcus