[OSM-dev] Question about Calculating Radius from GPS cord

Fire Girl firegirl at amorous.com
Fri Aug 8 17:02:15 BST 2008

 I think I am following you! :)

Here is the math I have so far....

Calculation: 5 miles
of: 45.5 latitude
and: 25.5 longitude

-------------------------------

so, for the latitude, (i.e. add and subtract 2.5/69ths of a degree of
latitude)

With 5 miles assumed, and using that forumla, the distance from 45.5
would be:

45.505797 (on the plus side)
45.494203 (on the minus side)

Right? :)

but on the Longitude side, (i.e. 2.5/f) .... f = 69 * sin(latitude)

.... i am not so clear what Latitude number I should be using there and
what that might look like.

How do I look at least so far in my calculations? :)