[OSM-dev] Chopped of ways. Change Default or remove ID

Wolschon Softwaredesign und Beratung Marcus at Wolschon.biz
Thu Aug 14 10:04:59 BST 2008

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:31:04 +0200, Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org> wrote:

>> I propose to not modify ways by default and to remove the way-id of
>> ways that are modified during extraction.
>> What should a tool care if the way references node-ids that it has
>> no nodes for because they are outside the bounding-box? It has to ignore
>> them.
>>
>> The removal of the ID is because this is no longer the way with
>> that ID but a new and artificially created way that contains a part
>> of the original one.

> There is another option, I want to bring into the discussion: In the
> case of the Osmosis extract we could keep the node list, but not include
> the nodes itself. This would keep the way object intact for the price of
> breaking referential integrity. This is the solution employed for
> relations, which are not resolved recursively (or only to a certain
> degree). This way we don't have to make objects incomplete. Still
> wouldn't solve the imcomplete tag thing.

That is exactly what I proposed with "not modify ways" and is also
what I do in Traveling Salesman when working with much less then a
whole planet for routing.

Marcus