[OSM-dev] Chopped of ways. Change Default or remove ID

Marcus Wolschon Marcus at Wolschon.biz
Thu Aug 14 14:25:34 BST 2008

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:19:00 +0200, Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org> wrote:
>> Then just flip the sign of the ID to make it a negative number, (unless
> negative
>> IDs already have some meaning of which I'm not aware).
>
> They have. Negative IDs are used by JOSM and other tools to denote new,
> not yet uploaded objects. So this would make the problem even worse, as
> it could lead to re-uploading of broken ways.

I think it's worse to destroy perfectly good ways then to mistakenly upload
parts of them and get this mistake marked by maplint.

The first breaks the map, the second has no impact on rendered maps
nor routing on the map.

Marcus