[OSM-dev] Chopped of ways. New flag for OSM XML?

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Thu Aug 14 15:28:14 BST 2008

Karl Newman wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 12:47 AM, Brett Henderson <brett at bretth.com
> <mailto:brett at bretth.com>> wrote:
>
>     Jochen Topf wrote:
>
>         But people *want* to use the data they get from some kind of
>         extraction
>         process to base decisions upon. And they should be able to.
>         Not all the
>         data is invalidated by an extraction, only some of it. It
>         makes sense
>         to mark those parts invalid that are, so that an automated
>         process can
>         decide what it uses and what not.
>
>         Jochen
>

>     Sure.  If I stop mangling ways then I can't think of a particular
>     case where this would be useful for osmosis processing ... but
>     that's not to say one doesn't exist.
>
>     I'll keep quiet and let those more impacted by the topic resume
>     normal discussions ;-)
>
> How about Dave Stubb's new tag transform plugin? And the other example
> I mentioned, tile cutting, where ways are intentionally mangled to end
> exactly on the tile border?
I didn't explain myself very well.  In the case of these transform tasks
you could simply mark the whole file as unsuitable for upload, I
couldn't see a case where you'd need to know which entities have been
mangled and which haven't.  But again, perhaps I just haven't considered
a case where it might be useful.

If you do need per-entity flagging then 80n's suggestion of fudging the
version id (eg. setting to 0) is worth thinking about.