[OSM-dev] Amazon web services (EC2 and S3)

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 21:57:25 BST 2008

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Nathan West <nate.ewest at gmail.com> wrote:

> Let me say upfront, I'm still pretty new to OSM...
>
> I have seen in the wiki a couple of shots at coming up with an alternative
> to the current way of rendering (particularly the mapnik slippy map).
> I was wondering if Amazon's web services with EC2 (elastic computing cloud)
> and S3 (Simple Storage Service) and possibly the Amazon SimpleDB.

I've been using EC2 instances to do Tiles at Home rendering for quite a while
now and it works great.

Also, I was doing planet.osm processing on a "large" instance, too. The huge
amount of RAM is incredibly useful :).

If anyone would be interested, I could try setting up a Tiles at Home rendering
AMI for others to use.