[OSM-dev] Mosques and other features of the Muslim world

Stefan de Konink skinkie at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 17 14:45:39 BST 2008

Erik Johansson schreef:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
>>> the symbols for hospitals here are a crescent and a cross, not
>>> just a cross. Guess it will require an additional tag to specify a muslim
>>> hospital. If anyone has time to help work on new symbols for our work here
>>> in the West Bank, the contribution would be very welcome.
>> Is that really a question of the religion of the hospital? [..] or is it that a map
>> produced in a Christain country uses one symbol and map produced in
>> a Muslin country a different symbol?
>
> Can you have different mapnik stylesheets for different
> countries/regions?  And what about hospitals that are on the border of
> such an area...
>
> (disregarding that Mikel is using a separate server for this)

One could wonder how 'brainsick' it is to behave differently to
different PoI based on their religion, that said: if it is culturally
more 'valid' to use a half moon versus a red cross and your first
intention is not to get medical treatment, it might be better to do some
geographical switching of PoI layers.

I hope that people understand that especially this kind of situations
make it more easy to justify different layers on a map.

Stefan