[OSM-dev] Mosques and other features of the Muslim world

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 17 15:16:59 BST 2008

From: Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu>

> > What is the best way to install new configuration file, along with all the
> > needed symbols?
>
> Run the script in the directory in svn, having first filled in the
> correct paths for your setup.

Thanks. Still getting the hang of this.

> > Also, there are other improvements needed for the Muslim world. For
> > instance, the symbols for hospitals here are a crescent and a cross, not
> > just a cross. Guess it will require an additional tag to specify a muslim
> > hospital. If anyone has time to help work on new symbols for our work here
> > in the West Bank, the contribution would be very welcome.
>
> Is that really a question of the religion of the hospital? or of the
> person that makes the map? Would a map in a Muslin country have some
> hosptials marked in one way and some in another? or is it that a map
> produced in a Christain country uses one symbol and map produced in
> a Muslin country a different symbol?
>
> In other words is tagging the hospital the right solution or is it
> just that you need to use a different stylesheet when rendering the
> map in a Muslim country regardless of the location of the hospital?

Right, it's question of geography. If you are here in Bethlehem, you will see ambulances and hospitals with a crescent+star symbol.

We'll probably just adjust the stylesheet on this server.

But for the main map, it's an open question. And not as crucial as correct representation of place_of_worship.
Do we want to support localisation of some symbols? In this case, it's pretty clear what a crescent+star means. This would mean making POI aware of which political area they are within.

Fully localised tiles sets on the main server is also something we should look at, but a much larger issue.

-Mikel