[OSM-dev] Autocorrectable data inconsistency

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Mon Aug 18 11:19:51 BST 2008

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 10:21 PM, Joachim Zobel <jz-2008 at heute-morgen.de> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I took a closer look at the data and found that several ways (10000+) in
> europe) have identical nodes on subsequent sequence_ids.

I suspect this largely happens when someone removes a few nodes from a
loop and the editor doesn't notice the weirdness. There might have
been a few historical bugs on creating ways too.

Potlatch has a habit of resetting the created_by tag when it makes an
edit, whereas JOSM doesn't, so I think the relative created_by counts
are probably misleading.
It would be good to check each of the editors to see if they make an
effort to stop this from happening.

Dave