[OSM-dev] real-time traffic map

Rogier Wolff R.E.Wolff at BitWizard.nl
Wed Aug 20 12:30:31 BST 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 01:00:05PM +0300, Bogdan Bivolaru wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Do you know any way to maintain an instantaneous map of a road? By that I
> mean: can all the drivers using OpenStreetMap + GPS upload their current
> location and direction they are going to, instant & average speed to some
> server and then can the server process the uploads to show the average speed
> and traffic?

Like we have here in the netherlands?

http://www.anwb.nl/verkeer/popup_regioverkeerssituatie_randstad.nl.html

This is based on the detection rings they have in the road. IIRC, the
dutch road authority collects the data, and the ANWB (the dutch
car-owners association) pays for the data, and publishes it on their
website. Other parties like radio stations also pay, and provide
bulletins.

I would expect that the userbase of OSM is too small to make accurate
travel-time estimates, based on (live) GPS tracks..... So I'm afraid
that in practise it won't work.

So, creating the "live" traffic densities, would mean that you need an
accurate source of information. This would either be the data from the
detection rings in the road, or cell phone cell hopping data.

	Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff at BitWizard.nl ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **