[OSM-dev] real-time traffic map

Adrian Vogt Adrian at Vogt.net
Thu Aug 21 06:32:50 BST 2008

Dear Bogdan,

I loosely remember a short report in a scientific TV show (Menschen
Technik Wissenschaft on swiss TV) reporting that Swisscom has provided
*anonymized* cell-phone data to students for an evaluation on whether
that data could be useful in traffic analysis. As far as I remember
that report, the where successfully in interpreting that data and
everything looked VERY nice. The only problem is that at that time,
Swisscom did not see a real benefit in operating an infrastructure,
which delivers this kind of data continuously.

But I still believe this would be the most cost effective way to get
such data, as there are many (millions) of subscribers and there is no
cost for those providing the data (the people "running" around with
their mobile phone). The investment of mobile phone company could be
compensated by adequate pricing of the data (or making it free as a
marketing instrument). Depending on the exact architecture, the time
resolution could be quite fine (e.g. 15 minute intervals or even
small). As there are so many data-points available by using the cell-
phone network data (of course in anonymized form), you can even detect/
separate trains (300 cell phones moving in sync) from motor-ways
(thousands of cell phones in constant flow).

I am not 100% sure, but their thesis should be linked as: http://www.ifi.uzh.ch/archive/mastertheses/DA_Arbeiten_2004/Schucan_Giachem.pdf
  . Unfortunately its written in German, so you will have to run it
through a translation services if that is an issue.

Regards
Adrian