[OSM-dev] [OT] any Internet Explorer script debugging experts here?

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu Aug 28 12:24:11 BST 2008

Hello everyone,

Since I made changes to Freemap a couple of weeks back, it's stopped fully
working on IE. Unfortunately as I do not have access to a place where I
have both IE and a connection to the server it's a bit difficult to debug.

Worse, the error message it gives is singularly unhelpful. It says:

"FreemapClient not defined"

in the file

http://www.free-map.org.uk/freemap/javascript/init.js

Since FreemapClient.js is included, I would assume that there's some
underlying error in FreemapClient.js which is causing IE not to load the
class. However, that underlying error is not reported by IE. Helpful, not!

So, other than some lengthy process of commenting out sections of
FreemapClient.js and gradually finding the source of the underlying error,
is there an efficient way of finding out what's going on?

As expected, it works fine in Firefox and Opera.

Thanks,
Nick