[OSM-dev] AMF api what is it?

Fri Aug 29 20:59:34 BST 2008

Stefan de Konink wrote:

> Jon Burgess schreef:
>> The OSM rails server supports AMF as a mechanism to fetch and update
>> map data and is used by Potlatch.
>
> Ok :) Will commit some reading resources to that :)

It's a ridiculously simple protocol - basically just a fast and
efficient way of encoding scalars, arrays and objects in such a way
that Flash reads them as native objects without any need to write
deserialisation code. I've written an AMF library for Ruby which is
part of the OSM code; I've got one kicking around in PHP too; and tbh
Perl would only be a matter of an hour or two. (And there are plenty
of third-party libraries around, too.)

cheers
Richard