[OSM-dev] Osmosis error reading osm file and writing to mysql

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Sat Dec 6 21:58:07 GMT 2008

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maarten Deen wrote:
>> $ mysql -D osm -u osm
>> Reading table information for completion of table and column names
>> You can turn off this feature to get a quicker startup with -A
>>
>> Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
>
> [...]
>
>> $ osmosis --read-xml file="bank.osm" --write-mysql
>> java.net.ConnectException
>> MESSAGE: Connection refused
>
> Maybe your MySQL is configured to work only through a Unix domain
> socket, not opening a TCP port. They used to do that for a while
> (skip-networking option). Or maybe it is using a non-standard TCP port. Do
>
> netstat -an|grep 3306
>
> and check if you get a line similar to this:
>
> tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:3306          0.0.0.0:*
> LISTEN
>
> If not then that's the reason for the problem you're seeing and you have
> to work on your my.cnf.

Yep. That was it. In fact I had already configured mysql to listen to one of my
other computers. Didn't think about it that it then did not listen to the
computer where it was running on.

But now I've ran into the next error:
com.bretth.osmosis.core.OsmosisRuntimeException: The database schema version of
16 does not match the expected version of 11.

I can find one reference to this on the web, on
<http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=10691> it says:
rake db:migrate VERSION=11

but I've got no idea where to execute that command. It's not SQL, and it won't
run on the unix prompt.

Maarten