[OSM-dev] Any tile statistics (unique visitors)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Dec 7 09:39:51 GMT 2008

Hi,

Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
> That assumes all unique visitors actually use a webbrowser, and from t at h
> stats I can tell that much of the traffic comes from bots and scripts
> rather than just web browsers.

I think the Foundation has recently discussed ceasing tile-serving for
non-openstreetmap.org originating requests, and during that discussion
it was found that only about 10% of tile traffic comes from
non-openstreetmap.org sites, which to me sounds like 90% of tile traffic
comes from our own slippy map (unless we have other openstreetmap.org
hosted services that consume tiles?). Unique users need not necessarily
be proportional to tile volume, but I tend to think that a figure like
this would make the bots/scripts you talk about negligible. I'm not
entirely sure about the 10% and what exactly it related to but it should
be findable in the Foundation board meeting minutes.

Bye
Frederik