[OSM-dev] Any tile statistics (unique visitors)

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Sun Dec 7 11:11:49 GMT 2008

2008/12/7 Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>:
> Hi,
>
> Ian Dees wrote:
>> It would be pretty neat to see a map of the number of times a certain
>> tile is served. While it certainly wouldn't be any measure of visitors,
>> it would be a pretty nifty visualization of the "busy" areas of the planet.
>
> I believe Andy Allan showed such pretty pictures made from Cycle Map
> access statistics at this year's SOTM.

Yes, I made a (ridiculously inefficient) slippy heat map based on
cycle map apache logs for a given day/period. It was primarily done to
find areas people were looking for tiles but we didn't have them (ie:
the 404 responses), so we could add the areas to our render list. We
don't need that now because we cover everywhere :-)

Dave