[OSM-dev] Any tile statistics (unique visitors)

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Sun Dec 7 13:53:55 GMT 2008

Stefan de Konink wrote:
> Jochen Topf wrote:
>>> Read-rights on my logs are available to anyone :)
>> I hope you have properly anonymized them beforehand! Even anonymized,
>> the logs of a tile server are problematic in a privacy sense. You can
>> probably identify some individuals from the session data.
>
> In The Netherlands 'personal data' is extremely well defined. And I can
> tell you, an IP address is definitely *not* one of them.

Well in the UK anything which can identify an individual counts as
personal data, and at least some IP addresses can do that - mine can for
a start as whois on my addresses will give you my name and address.

> Never the less, I expect from any users that do aggregation task they
> care about aggregation results not about raw data :)

I understand that, but your were suggesting releasing the raw logs as a
way for people to be able to produce such summaries.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/