[OSM-dev] Editing outside of bounding box

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Tue Dec 9 12:23:54 GMT 2008

2008/12/9 Dominik Spies <kontakt at dspies.de>

> Hi,
>
> It seems to be that editing data outside of a bounding box generates a
> warning in JOSM. (This is not a JOSM question!)
>
> At first, it seems to be obvious: delete a way with all its nodes,
> where some nodes could be part of way thats not loaded into the
> editor.
> Okay, but where exactly is the problem? The editor will try to delete
> the node, will recieve a 412 Error and recognize "hey i can't delete
> that node because..." and it is all fine.
>
> Do I miss something important?

I think the idea is the warn you beforehand rather than the first warning
being that the upload for a certain node number has failed, then having to
mess around trying to recover that node so that the rest of your upload can
continue until the next node fails... Or are you suggesting that when
uploading it should just ignore errors that could be considered to be user
error?

The API should keep the data in sync these days and with the next version
will do even more to ensure that's the case... But... Having the editor warn
you of potential problems before you start bouncing off the API does to me
seem like a good idea...