[OSM-dev] Osmosis Output Error

Andrew Ayre andy at britishideas.com
Tue Dec 9 23:18:10 GMT 2008

Karl Newman wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 2:40 PM, Andrew Ayre <andy at britishideas.com
> <mailto:andy at britishideas.com>> wrote:
>
>     Brett Henderson wrote:
>
>         Karl Newman wrote:
>
>             So, sounds like the most recent changes are not the issue.
>             Do you know if SRTM2OSM creates entities with negative ids?
>             If not, you may run into collisions with the other data file
>             that you're trying to merge.
>
>             Karl
>
>         Andrew, it would be great if you could put your files online
>         somewhere.  I'll take a look this evening if Karl doesn't beat
>         me to it.
>
>         My biggest concern at this point is that you don't appear to be
>         getting a decent error message.  Perhaps I'm losing an exception
>         stack trace somewhere.  It makes it hard to diagnose the problem.
>
>         Brett
>

>     Karl - I'm not sure if SRTM2OSM produces entities with negative IDs.
>     I'll try to check into that. But I think other people are doing the
>     same thing I'm trying to do, making me wonder if I am doing
>     something wrong here.
>
>     Brett - I've uploaded the files to:
>
>     http://files.britishideas.com/index.php?dir=osmosis/
>
>     Note that I am running this on a set of 26 pairs of tiles. I get
>     this errors on six of the pairs. The others seem to be OK, although
>     I haven't rendered them yet to check.
>
>     Thanks for the help! Andy
>

> Looking at your source data (generated by srtm2osm), there are a couple
> potential issues. The first is that the ids are not negative, although
> they start at 1E9, so you probably won't run into a collision (I don't
> think the new entity ids are anywhere near that yet). The bigger problem
> is that it intermingles nodes and ways, and generally Osmosis works
> better if all the nodes come first, then all the ways, then all the
> relations. For a merge, they have to be sorted. That's easy enough to
> do, though--just add a --sort task to your command line (for both input
> files). i.e., osmosis --rx osmfile.osm --sort --rx srtmfile.osm --sort
> --merge --wx outfile.osm
>
> In reality, maybe the problem is entirely with your osm data and not at
> all with the SRTM. It's possible some of your osm data files have items
> out of order, which is causing a problem with the merge.

Thanks for looking into this. I added --sort after each input file name
and it still gives the same error. The OSM map file was generated by
osmosis, which I used to split planet.osm.

java -Xmx1560m -jar /home/nav/scripts/osmosis.jar --read-xml
file="/home/nav/temp/tile.63255095.osm" --sort --read-xml
file="/home/nav/temp/eletile.63255095.osm" --sort --merge --write-xml
file="/home/nav/temp/mergedtile.63255095.osm"

thanks, Andy

--
Andy
PGP Key ID: 0xDC1B5864