[OSM-dev] Osmosis Output Error

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Wed Dec 10 03:43:56 GMT 2008

Andrew Ayre wrote:
> Brett Henderson wrote:
>> I had a quick play and think I've found the problem.
>>
>> Firstly, when you receive an error in osmosis, look further down the
>> stack trace.  The real reason is almost always in there somewhere.
>> Osmosis is multi-threaded so it is difficult to have the real reason
>> show up at the start of the error message.  In your case the first
>> bit of error was from the input xml readers detecting that the merge
>> task had aborted.  The merge task output was further down the error
>> messages.
>>
>> In this case there were two problems:
>> 1. The data was unsorted.
>> 2. Some data doesn't appear to have dates attached (I haven't found
>> the offending entry yet).
>>
>> This command line works:
>> osmosis --rx tile.63255095.osm.gz enableDateParsing=false --sort --rx
>> eletile.63255095.osm.gz enableDateParsing=false --sort --merge --wx
>> out.osm.gz
>>
>> It sorts all data before the merge, and ignores all dates in the
>> input data (replacing them with current system time).  This is a bit
>> of a kludge, ideally the data itself should be fixed to include the
>> correct dates but hopefully it points you in the right direction.
>
> I have just noticed that in all the merged files the closing </osm>
> tag is missing. The file just stops. Could there be also missing data
> from the file as well?
When I merge your two files, the output file has a closing osm tag.  Did
osmosis complete successfully?  It should have thrown an exception if
something went wrong.

I'm using a slightly older osmosis (one already installed on my laptop),
so perhaps something is different.  I'll test with an up to date version
later to make sure.