[OSM-dev] Complete tileset - experiments with tile sizes and disk space

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Mon Dec 22 14:23:03 GMT 2008

Bill Magee wrote:
> Anyway, as I say, I'm new to OSM so this might be discussions you've
> already had - if so my apologies.

In NL we have implemented a High Performance on demand rendering and
caching server and were experimenting with different tile sizes (and
specially layer sizes!) Currently we do a color reduction (requires less
bits), in this way the tiles get smaller so the active area the tile
represents can be increased. I agree with your optimisation 'just under
blocksize'. But dense tiles increase in size rapidly.

If you want to take a peak: http://tile.openstreet.nl/

I think deduplication could be another interesting method to reduce the
amount of tiles.

Stefan