[OSM-dev] which Java Verison to use (1.6 vs. 1.5); was: Error compiling osmosis

Andreas Kalsch andreaskalsch at gmx.de
Sun Dec 28 13:40:50 GMT 2008

It is OK that Osmosis supports just 1.6, because it has no UI (has it?).
So there are 2 reasons:

- You use it more on servers with Linux, so 1.6 is supported.
- The user has the competence to deal with this kind of things,
including setting up his own DB.

JOSM - in opposite - should be as easy as possible to use (= downloading
and starting to edit), so that as many people as possible contribute to OSM.

So focus on new features and don't try to support ancient versions.

Best,

Andi