[OSM-dev] ROMA servers down - osmosis large way problem

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Mon Dec 29 22:26:03 GMT 2008

Matthias Julius wrote:
> ... but not a tree of relations.  Every relation is a tree (almost).
> So I don't see a particular problem in making a boundary a relation,
> too.

Some people wanted to limit ways/relations to 2k of nodes. If you do
allow relations to have all these extra subrelations then what are you
going to solve in the end? This is enforcing a clueless limit and not
solving the fundamental problem why this limit is justified; and no that
has nothing to do with data storage.

As I mentioned earlier, there is no need for even the concept 'way';
since you can store a relation with tag highway=whatever. So fundamental
issues:
- the tables are too verbose (not normalised)
- the tables imply limits that are not required from a database standpoint
- the practical usage of limitations (only fetch what you can observe)
is not exploited at all, while this is an issue for a renderer and a
typical client that wants to use the data

Anyway the resolve scenario sounds like Microsoft, "you cannot use
character blablabla in your filename, because we say so".

Stefan