[OSM-dev] ROMA servers down - osmosis large way problem

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Tue Dec 30 20:13:56 GMT 2008

2008/12/30 Robert (Jamie) Munro <rjmunro at arjam.net>:

> Stefan de Konink wrote:
>> Shaun McDonald wrote:
>>>  From API 0.6 there is a limit of 2,000 nodes in a way.
>>
>> Btw; Do you impose this also on a relation? If not, then it is pretty
>> useless to have an infrastructure that is capable of holding an infinite
>> amount of nodes and one that is not ;)
>
> IMHO ways should be restricted to more like 256 nodes, and relations
> should be unrestricted. I don't see how relations and ways should be
> similar in this respect.
>
> I can imagine a system that downloaded only part of a relationship, and
> had abstract add/remove object X from relationship Y methods, but with
> ways it seems much more complicated because of ordering.

Because it's the same problem.

It's about ensuring that API objects remain a managable size, not just
for upload, but download and editing too.

The add/remove would be abandoning our REST API interface which isn't
exactly a trivial change for anybody, plus 0.6 makes relations ordered
anyway, so it'd be just as complicated as doing it for ways.

Dave