[OSM-dev] ROMA servers down - osmosis large way problem

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 31 06:17:20 GMT 2008

Stefan de Konink wrote:
> Matt Amos wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 10:18 PM, Maarten Deen <mdeen at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>> Not wanting to plead for a certain limit of nodes per way, but what would
>>> be
>>> the technical problem with a single entity consisting of a million 2-node
>>> ways, as opposed to a way of a million nodes?
>>
>> maybe we could call these 2-node ways "segments"? ;-)

That would be... so 0.4 :-P

> Maybe he made a typo and ment 2k-node... but that is just me parsing the
> meaning behind a message.

No, I meant 2, to give the contrast between two ways of equal length but
different datatechnical makeup.
Obviously there are drawbacks to that, and I'm absolutely not suggesting that
such ways should be created, but currently the other option can also give
problems. So don't go to extremes, either way.
Where the solution for rendering is relatively easy (drop everything outside
your viewingbox), for editors it is not. You will have to keep the whole way
for the off chance that you zoom out in the editor or really want to edit the
whole way (like splitting it).

Regards,
Maarten