[OSM-dev] TomTom map format

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Wed Dec 31 14:53:36 GMT 2008

Florian Lohoff wrote:
> How bad it goes when designing Hardware - Look at the OpenMoko project
> and you want to run away ... Bugs like not beeing able to power on
> the device after the batterie runs empty are inexcusable.
>
> Chossing a Display/FB Hardware where afterwards no specs are available
> for acceleration.

There are some nice Taiwanese ODM's that are still looking for work.
Getting a design, robust software and a VC-money are key components.
Hardware reference design is done by people that know how to do it. It
doesn't have to be 'openhardware' to be accepted. Flashing a TomTom with
OSM software (for me) seems a far better solution. Just because that
would actually help other manufacturers to use our software on their
appliances.

So nothing bad about hacking, just about targetting one application vs
all applications.

>>> TomTom has done a great job in providing navigational software with
>>> an exceptionally good usability. The Hardware is robust and well thought
>>> about. Its no wonder they are the most sold device in Germany.
>> ...and they want to keep their map format extremely closed. Even if they
>> are the number one player. Maybe Neelie Kroes can maken TomTom give
>> their specs too :)
>
> Its a closed product and only designed for beeing used in a very strict
> environment. These dicisions are natural imho.
>
> Now we need to get over it ...

True ;) And just do hacking... thats what we are good at.

Stefan