[OSM-dev] ROMA servers down - osmosis large way problem

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Wed Dec 31 21:29:42 GMT 2008

D Tucny wrote:
> I guess you would like to make it:
>
>      ---------------
>     |               |
>     |   ,.,        o|----o
>     | o'   '.,.     |
>     |          '.   |
>      ------------,--|
>

>     And indeed this seems a much better approach.
>

> This is what I was trying to illustrate without ascii art :)

So would this be something useful/workable/better to you as editor?

>     Either way, a maximum of 2000 nodes in a way would work in both
>     scenarios... So no arguments from me...
>

>     True but as Martijn already pointed out, there is just still stuff
>     that should be 'one', coastallines. And if I may add, I would really
>     like to apply algebra for geo stuff to that kind of things. That
>     will not work if OSM limits 2k. And OSM-companies suddenly start to
>     offer shapefiles where it actually is possible to do that kind of
>     lookups with merged coastallines, that is a bit a turn off to me...
>

> I'm sure it wouldn't be too complex with a few recursive lookups to get
> an entire coastline, where you could, if you so wished merge them
> together and perform any, not usual for typical use, function on them,
> including applying algebra... I'm sure with your own copy of the planet,
> especially if loaded into a database it would quick and simple to
> achieve this too... admittedly, not as quick as if the database natively
> held the entire coastline as a single way, but, trivial none the less...
> An example of such cleverness would be the coastline checker stuff done
> by Martijn...

The point is that 'geo databases' operate on cyclic polylines as an
area. Splitting them up requires another virtual and join. Doable but I
want decent arguments why to split it at data level (2k limit) opposite
to user level (partial ways). (And joins are exactly expensive at OSM
sizes...)

So I'll try to fix a server implemementation :) And ask for some
rendering help.

Stefan